Status
Not open for further replies.

dexterbiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 5, 2012
London, UK
I ride a
Honda CBF 125
Being on a lawn mower.......sorry i mean a 125 i haven't actually spent a fortune on my kit. That isn't to say that thought didn't go into the process and i got the best i could for my budget. I have a Tuzo textile jacket with a spine protector ( a full extra £20 that cost me to get that!!) and some Australian Bikers Gear textile Kevlar trousers. My crash helmet is a shark helmet, i had only bargained to spend £150 tops on a helmet and ended up spending near £300 when the guy had given me a lecture on how important my think box is lol

NastyEvilNinja

4 wheel racer, 2 wheel lunatic
Feb 18, 2012
South Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Honda VTR1000 Firestorm, Yamaha FZR600R
dexterbiker said:
Being on a lawn mower.......sorry i mean a 125 i haven't actually spent a fortune on my kit. That isn't to say that thought didn't go into the process and i got the best i could for my budget. I have a Tuzo textile jacket with a spine protector ( a full extra £20 that cost me to get that!!) and some Australian Bikers Gear textile Kevlar trousers. My crash helmet is a shark helmet, i had only bargained to spend £150 tops on a helmet and ended up spending near £300 when the guy had given me a lecture on how important my think box is lol

Oooh - that's one thing I am willing to spend less on! (not because my head is worth less :p )

The lids you can get around £100 are as good as the more expensive ones. They meet the same standards.

I had a £500 Shoei helmet that I loved, and killed it in a crash... After that I don't think I'll ever buy one for that much again, because one for a fifth of that would have probably done the same job.

My AGV should really be replaced because I've had that a fair few years, but I also now need a car racing helmet, and you should see the price of THOSE! :shock: Shame nobody makes one that meets the spec for cars and bikes....

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
NastyEvilNinja said:
The lids you can get around £100 are as good as the more expensive ones. They meet the same standards.

I had a £500 Shoei helmet that I loved, and killed it in a crash... After that I don't think I'll ever buy one for that much again, because one for a fifth of that would have probably done the same job.

ARhgfaskjgdaksdjh must not explain errors... must not explain errors...

thunderous71

Daddy
Aug 4, 2011
Surrey
www.thunderous71.com
I ride a
Mt-09
Friz said:
NastyEvilNinja said:

LOL Friz I can't not bite ;)

Having seen how a cheap helmet is made to a more erm costly one I would never skimp myself. Standards like any rules can be bent/cheated etc etc.

Trinith

Wannabie Member
Jul 22, 2011
I ride a
2003 Honda VFR
thunderous71 said:
LOL Friz I can't not bite ;)

Having seen how a cheap helmet is made to a more erm costly one I would never skimp myself. Standards like any rules can be bent/cheated etc etc.

Don't forget the comfort aspect. I've had 2 expensive lids and 3 "cheap" ones. The expensive ones are considerably lighter, quieter, and all around more comfortable.

pizzaonaninja

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Behind you
I ride a
Trek 8500
I'd go with going to the store, trying it, sizing it, feeling it, AND THEN! ordering online, where its cheaper.

Sites: Revzilla, Sportbiketrackgear, Motorcycle-superstore, newenough, and compcyclecenter (just because i'm in Miami)

dexterbiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 5, 2012
London, UK
I ride a
Honda CBF 125
pizzaonaninja said:
I'd go with going to the store, trying it, sizing it, feeling it, AND THEN! ordering online, where its cheaper.

Sites: Revzilla, Sportbiketrackgear, Motorcycle-superstore, newenough, and compcyclecenter (just because i'm in Miami)

sheesh trying and sizing it i must have been in store for over an hour finding one that fitted my damn skull, and after i had a pressure headache. The countless times of taking a helemt off loving it then looking in mirror and seeing pressure marks then feeling dissapointed. The guy tried seeing me a helmet with flames all over it.....personally that isnt my style frustratingly the only one at the time that fitted me in a half decent manner. Luckily he dug a white one out of the back for me that was spot on!!

NastyEvilNinja

4 wheel racer, 2 wheel lunatic
Feb 18, 2012
South Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Honda VTR1000 Firestorm, Yamaha FZR600R
Friz said:
NastyEvilNinja said:

*reels his bait back in*

:mrgreen:

OK, ok - but there is a difference between a 'cheap' helmet and one that doesn't cost much. I think it's definitely possible to get a very good lid for £150-£200 even from a dealer. Once you get above £400 you're basically paying for materials to make it lighter, rather than significantly stronger.

And there are also deals to be had from new brands. My first helmet was a Suomy that I didn't pay much more than £100 for (although this was 13 years ago) and I still have it today as a spare. They got a lot more expensive since that after WSB and GP riders wore them.

pizzaonaninja

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Behind you
I ride a
Trek 8500
dexterbiker said:
pizzaonaninja said:

sheesh trying and sizing it i must have been in store for over an hour finding one that fitted my damn skull, and after i had a pressure headache. The countless times of taking a helemt off loving it then looking in mirror and seeing pressure marks then feeling dissapointed. The guy tried seeing me a helmet with flames all over it.....personally that isnt my style frustratingly the only one at the time that fitted me in a half decent manner. Luckily he dug a white one out of the back for me that was spot on!!

But you found out your size on that particular brand, didn't you....

dexterbiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 5, 2012
London, UK
I ride a
Honda CBF 125
pizzaonaninja said:
dexterbiker said:
pizzaonaninja said:

But you found out your size on that particular brand, didn't you....

I certainly did, wasnt complaining.....well not really lol.

UnstableBoy

Wannabie Member
Sep 3, 2012
NJ, USA
www.youtube.com
I ride a
'99 Ninja 250, 2012 V-Strom 650
I always try to shop local first... keeps the local places in business because you never know when you are going to need that widget RIGHT NOW for a ride.
also I am lucky, I have two good shops close to me , one I go for gear, and one I go to for parts (and when I get my new bike it will be from them).. in fact I just picked up some riding gear today from the first place. for christmas my mom and uncle put in money for me to get better gear and I finally got out to go shopping.

lauriejennifer

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Kawasaki KLX330sm * Keen BadBoy CX50 * Kawasaki ER-6n
I buy my stuff at work (lol... I guess that's cheating?). Our shop price matches with online shops, too.

Shop online, and your money and taxes go elsewhere. Shop local, and your money and taxes stay in the community. Now, if you really don't have any options (like Trinith), then it's more understandable.

But... shop local!!! :)

By the way, trying in the store and then buying online is kinda low. Please don't waste the salesperson's time if you plan on taking your business elsewhere from the beginning. Most shops work on commission. I work on commission. Spending the time to help you out with finding what works best for you and your needs is a service provided that you intent to take advantage of without paying. If too many people continue to do that, the service will no longer be available.

Food for thought.

JollyRoger

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Ottawa
I ride a
2002 R6
thunderous71 said:
On the cheap I like the RST textiles for commuting but as you say they wont last. About 2-3 years of life in the equipment but I do use it everyday and have had 2 offs.

Have to disagree man, my RST stuff has been freaking awesome for regular commuting and longevity.

I always shop in store, get my sizes and then buy online (except for helmets), or if the store is close enough price.

Nerb

Seriously not serious
Nov 13, 2012
Melbourne
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Motard: Husky610
Adventure: KTM1190 Adv R
Trinith said:
The expensive ones are considerably lighter, quieter, and all around more comfortable.

THIS

lauriejennifer said:
But... shop local!!! :)

By the way, trying in the store and then buying online is kinda low. Please don't waste the salesperson's time if you plan on taking your business elsewhere from the beginning. Most shops work on commission. I work on commission. Spending the time to help you out with finding what works best for you and your needs is a service provided that you intent to take advantage of without paying. If too many people continue to do that, the service will no longer be available.

Food for thought.

I dont know what its like over there, but I bought my arai xd from the US for $360 delivered, while here in Aus it was $999. I have to question if the local shop (a large country wide chain) is providing that much service? Not to mention it was from a retailer in the US, not a wholesaler. A valve for my husky was $33 in the US, $120 local. With these sorts of markups, someone is just cashing in. Theres no excuse for it.

Stenno

Wannabie Member
Mar 6, 2012
Surbiton, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki SV650/S
I always shop at GetGeared or HeinGericke and will happily pay a bit extra for the service. Walking away and buying online just serves to send bike stores into liquidation and then where will we be!

Shoei lid, HeinGericke textiles, RST leathers.
Boots and gloves are whatever I like at the time.
Gerbing heated gear (Mmmmmm...) purchased online however I did spot afterwards that they sold it in GetGeared.

As for the cost of lids, money isn't everything. More importantly, check the sharp rating and get a good fitting, then consider noise and weight, pin-lock visors, replaceable visors, removable lining etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts