Close Sidebar
Dismiss Notice
We have a few hidden forums and features that you can't see until you login or sign up. We only send about 4 emails a year and never sell anything. We're a global community for bikers who like to record videos. We run this site for fun

Cheap Small Laptop/tablet

Discussion in 'Editing Talk' started by RealSteveB, Aug 4, 2017.

1. RealSteveB

RealSteveB United States Wannabie Member

United States
    I'm going to Disney in October for my wedding, no motovlog there but plenty of videos for vlogs. We'd like to upload a nightly video while we're there. Can anyone recommend a small cheap laptop/tablet that can run a basic editing program? I use powerdirector on my pc, not sure of it could also be installed on another computer-doubt it. I do however, have a older gaming laptop. I played Battlefield 2142 and bad company on it, shows how old it is, but it ran Photoshop no problem. Maybe I can resurrect that old beast? The Surface 3 is now about $325 on amazon which is what I'm considering, but I'm not sure it can handle it. I have a external USB hard drive for the files.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Matt Leech

Matt Leech United Kingdom Wannabie Member

United Kingdom
    Sorry I can't recommend a laptop/tablet, but if it's going to be video and photo editing...don't forget your mouse!

3. scooterwuf

scooterwuf United States Wannabie Member

United States
    That might be a challenge. If you're running HD footage -- 1080p - you're going to need a robust graphics card for processing. Working with lower res footage will probably be fine, but I have a feeling you'll want something better for your wedding. Working with an external is a good idea, but it still comes down to the graphics card.

- Wuf

4. F4celess

F4celess Norway Cold

Norway
    Editing on the cheap is a big challenge. At best I can only recommend compact gamer laptops but then they cost a bit. Your old laptop will certainly do the trick. I have a nVidia 780m in my laptop and it edits HD video just fine.

5. 2WV

2WV United Kingdom @2WheelVandal

United Kingdom
    Whatever you decide to get, you will want something with a fairly decent GPU for rendering. And something with more than 4gb of ram for processing time. If you want my honest opinion, take a Laptop with a large SSD/HDD or even an external HDD or large flash/thumb drive/memory stick and just back the recordings onto them then edit when you get home..

Ive never tried but you can always get a fairly decent android tablet and browse their appstore..will be plenty of basic video/photo editing programmes on there. Obviously not as sophisticated as computers though

6. RealSteveB

RealSteveB United States Wannabie Member

United States
    Thanks guys. I fired up my old laptop and damn it's still fast, of course there's nothing on it right now cause I wiped out clean last time I used it.
    It does have Power director, version 6 (lol) but it should atleast be able to cut video and add some small effects without too much trouble. Has Photoshop also. This was the top of the line gaming laptop 9 years ago.

I also found a cool wireless external hard-drive, My Passport. Allows you to just stick in the SD card and it copies the files automatically without a computer. For $135 I might just get it. Just for backup purposes if I decide to lug this laptop down. I'm not sure I'll have enough energy to produce a video each night like we were talking about. Especially with drinks and whatever else added.

7. SighBored

SighBored United States TнеSιɢнBояеɗ

United States
    Interesting, but the thought of lugging around a laptop while riding does not sound that appealing to me. Hope all goes well with your attempt to edit and upload on the fly.. You didn't mention what Internet connection you will be using. If you are going to be relying on the hotel's free Wi-Fi I wouldn't trust it that much at giving decent upload for big video files..