Cheap Action Cam Help Plz

Brazy

Wannabie Member
Sep 6, 2016
I ride a
2012 BMW K1300S
I need a cheap action cam I want to start Motovlogging but I don't wanna shell out 400 to 600 on a GoPro I need something real cheap I've been looking at a drift stealth 2 but I heard the plastic cracks and the ion pro lite but no external mic so I need something and also I don't want the Sony as1000v because I want something for 50-150 dollars and I don't want the typical GoPro look boxy I like the drift and the Sony action cams stream lined desing and I hope u can help

Marbro_za

Dan's princess
Mar 13, 2014
I ride a
Yamaha fz6
If you are going to spend $100, youre going to be dissapointed.

Sj4000 is about the best, but its a boxy one
The sony action cams are second best, price wise. Quality is alot better.

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
MOBIUS Action Cam. ;)
It's got a big following, a handful of HD formats, very customizable (accessed via software). Smaller than a GoPro too.

Doesn't have an external Mic option, however I've seen a few sources where people open the camera up and solder an external Mic jack plug.

Reactions: dandoolittle

Marbro_za

Dan's princess
Mar 13, 2014
I ride a
Yamaha fz6
Theres loads of second hand ones on ebay going for decent prices.

Dark Rider

Wannabie Member
Jan 4, 2016
I ride a
Suzuki GSR 600
Second hand GoPros are pretty cheap for good quality. Thats were I got mine. Yes its boxy but I think the chin mount works the best.

Reactions: OOmpiMoto

JoshAFJ

Because Motorcycle
Sep 21, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
I ride a
07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Look up the Replay XD. I got one for pretty cheap, the setup is small and they do have an adapter for a mic. I have yet to use mine for a vlog because I got a new GoPro, but the little thing works super well and its so tiny!

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
My Mobius has been playing up, where it stops recording at random, resulting in a certain % of your ride not being recorded at all (only the first part)! :mad:

Reading about this "problem", people talk about changing the microSD card.
........but mine is a brand new, 32Gb Sandisk card! - you'd expect to be of decent quality/performance (plus I have tried re-formatting it).

Solution might be to switch to one of the "better" Cams, GoPro, Drift, etc. :rolleyes:

MotoMisc

Move along, nothing to see here!
Sep 16, 2016
I ride a
Cbr 954, cbr f4 stuntbike, fiddy =)
I have one (had 2) Sony actioncam mounted on side of helm, a 4k one but thinking of moving the 4k one to the bike because it can't fit on helmet where i want it in the future.. I have been looking on alternatives to go-pro aswell with same "size and packaging".. I found Eken H8 yesterday and is about 80$ or something.. think im gonna try that out =)

Reactions: DanielJ

JoshAFJ

Because Motorcycle
Sep 21, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
I ride a
07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
My Mobius has been playing up, where it stops recording at random, resulting in a certain % of your ride not being recorded at all (only the first part)! :mad:

Reading about this "problem", people talk about changing the microSD card.
........but mine is a brand new, 32Gb Sandisk card! - you'd expect to be of decent quality/performance (plus I have tried re-formatting it).

Solution might be to switch to one of the "better" Cams, GoPro, Drift, etc. :rolleyes:

Do you know what class of card you were using? Maybe it couldn't write fast enough.

Reactions: dandoolittle

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
@MotoMisc

Like your CBR F4 Stuntbike (watched the vid). Very cool. ;) So for that I gave you a Like. :D

Unfortunately I don't speak "Swedish" so couldn't understand your verbal description, while I obviously know my way around a bike, might have missed out on the finer details.

Reactions: MotoMisc

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
Hello Josh, thanks for the reply.

Well the videos I've been getting off it, run for up to about 20 minutes, then it just stops recording. So it does appear to record for a good time, before stopping. Another vid taken that day, ran for about 15 minutes, before stopping... So if there was an incompatibility with the camera and the card put in, you'd imagine it to happen as soon as it starts recording any new video?

Any thoughts or feedback appreciated. I could obviously try picking up a completely different card :(. Apparently "Kingston" branded cards are documented as a favorite, within the manufacturers literature.

JoshAFJ

Because Motorcycle
Sep 21, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
I ride a
07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Hello Josh, thanks for the reply.

Well the videos I've been getting off it, run for up to about 20 minutes, then it just stops recording. So it does appear to record for a good time, before stopping. Another vid taken that day, ran for about 15 minutes, before stopping... So if there was an incompatibility with the camera and the card put in, you'd imagine it to happen as soon as it starts recording any new video?

Any thoughts or feedback appreciated. I could obviously try picking up a completely different card :(. Apparently "Kingston" branded cards are documented as a favorite, within the manufacturers literature.

Hmm if it were an issue with a slower card it probably wouldn't record for so long. It might last a min or two, but no longer. It must have something to do with the camera.

When it stops recording does the whole unit turn off as well? Might be an issue with a battery not being secure in the compartment. When I was rocking the GoPro 1 back in the day I actually wrapped my batteries with some tape because they were notorious for bouncing around and turning the camera off when the connection was broken.

That would be my only other guess on the issue at hand.

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
When it stops recording does the whole unit turn off as well? Might be an issue with a battery not being secure in the compartment. When I was rocking the GoPro 1 back in the day I actually wrapped my batteries with some tape because they were notorious for bouncing around and turning the camera off when the connection was broken.

That would be my only other guess on the issue at hand.

Yes, the Mobius is off, when I go and check it, after removing my helmet.

Perhaps you are onto something regarding a battery problem / connection, which halts the recording as the unit goes dead! It switches back on fine, when I press the power button to check if the battery is dead... so its obviously not consumed all battery charge.

I just had another thought, I will watch the final seconds of the videos it DID record, and see if there might have been alot of bumping about (at the point the video ends) which could have interfered with the Mobius (internal battery) as you say.

JoshAFJ

Because Motorcycle
Sep 21, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
I ride a
07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Yes, the Mobius is off, when I go and check it, after removing my helmet.

Perhaps you are onto something regarding a battery problem / connection, which halts the recording as the unit goes dead! It switches back on fine, when I press the power button to check if the battery is dead... so its obviously not consumed all battery charge.

I just had another thought, I will watch the final seconds of the videos it DID record, and see if there might have been alot of bumping about (at the point the video ends) which could have interfered with the Mobius (internal battery) as you say.

Let me know what you find out! I think we may have found the problem!

I'm not sure what kind of battery that camera uses, but I would definitely try wrapping it with some tape. Just enough to make it fit snugly into place leaving no room for movement.

MotoMisc

Sep 16, 2016
I ride a
@MotoMisc

Like your CBR F4 Stuntbike (watched the vid). Very cool. ;) So for that I gave you a Like. :D

Unfortunately I don't speak "Swedish" so couldn't understand your verbal description, while I obviously know my way around a bike, might have missed out on the finer details.
Oh, thanks dude! I'm planning on doing that one in english aswell, made that 1-2 days befor I decided the channel gonna be in english instead ;)

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
Oh, thanks dude! I'm planning on doing that one in english aswell, made that 1-2 days befor I decided the channel gonna be in english instead ;)

Look forward to it. Is the bike road legal ? Do you own other bikes too, for "general" riding, when you don't feel like doing all the stunts? :)

MotoMisc

Sep 16, 2016
I ride a
Look forward to it. Is the bike road legal ? Do you own other bikes too, for "general" riding, when you don't feel like doing all the stunts? :)
Hehe this went abit off topic :p

That bike "was" legal, not at the moment.. need proper headlight and turn signals then its legal again.
I have a cbr 954 for commute and other activites that I ride on streets more, and a little fiddy 110 that i use to try to get my girlfriend into bikes :p

ZBrazil

Clutch Fiction ambassador
Oct 7, 2016
Los Angeles
I ride a
Ducati
I need a cheap action cam I want to start Motovlogging but I don't wanna shell out 400 to 600 on a GoPro I need something real cheap I've been looking at a drift stealth 2 but I heard the plastic cracks and the ion pro lite but no external mic so I need something and also I don't want the Sony as1000v because I want something for 50-150 dollars and I don't want the typical GoPro look boxy I like the drift and the Sony action cams stream lined desing and I hope u can help

Trust me on this...save your money and buy a GoPro. I have had my fair share of experience trying to go cheap because the specs on paper looked comparable. It's not even close.

Check out this review:

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts