Blocking Out Plates/speedo/faces, Is There Any Easier Way?

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
KTM 690 Supermoto/ Triumph Speed Triple 1050
Hi all,

At the moment I'm blocking out plates/speedos/faces using Sony Vegas Pro 12, but the issue is it's dynamic video so I'm constantly moving the pan crop mask frame.. by frame.. by frame, well to be fair every 5-10 frames. There must be an easier way, right? Right!?

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
On Adobe Premiere Pro you can auto track things like faces and plates to avoid having to do it manually.

It's not perfect, but it saves 90% of the time.

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
I'll have to give that a go, pretty shocked that Vegas didn't have any options like it seeing as it was meant to be industry standard software. But I know I definitely can't be spending 2-3 hours just to mask things on a 5-10 minute video.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
There's an awesome way to avoid blurring the speedo... Do the speed limit and no more ;)

Reactions: thunderous71

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
There's an awesome way to avoid blurring the speedo... Do the speed limit and no more ;)

Tell my throttle hand that please! But to be honest, it's one of my worst habits and I find the camera slows me down but still not quite there.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
There's been other debates on this before, but the nutshell was if you're doing enough to attract attention then you'll get some.

Plus it's not actually that hard to work out someone's speed from a video if anyone were minded to take umbrage over an antic...

Reactions: RoadSprock

MiGlyRides

Geordie-Aussie
Jan 5, 2016
Gold Coast, Queensland
I ride a
Honda CBR 500 RA & Honda MSX 125 (GROM)
Yeah, as Lurch said it's pretty east to find out speed from a video, if your mates don't want their licence plates shown try to ride ahead or along side them as much as possible, It is much easier to not have the thing that needs to be blurred in video than edit in a blur lol

Reactions: RoadSprock

Mr Miles

Wannabie Member
Dec 28, 2015
Salisbury, UK
I ride a
DrZ400SM Boom
I tend not to bother blurring my speedo... although I rarely go over the limit anyway... If anything it's the wheelies that I do if anything needs blurring :p

But yes Premiere Pro does the job on blur tracking that as someone has already mentioned.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
Yeah, as Lurch said it's pretty east to find out speed from a video

Is that valid evidence though? All of my music videos have modified speed to make it fit the music, so my speed is not accurate (and the reason I blur my speedo no matter what speed I'm riding at).

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
I think it has been used as supporting evidence before. When you speed alter video unless you're at a multiple of the frame rate I think it's possible to tell that it has been altered. There's some smart ass people who can analyse this stuff, and while some can cover tracks well enough, not everyone does.

Reactions: Jgrinds

SweetTripl

Sweet Triple
Mar 23, 2021
United Kingdom
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple R
Been going through doing this frame by frame on Premier Pro whilst trying to edit a spirited ride out with some mates. I Can't seem to get it to track as some people say in this thread?? Any Ideas
On Adobe Premiere Pro you can auto track things like faces and plates to avoid having to do it manually.

It's not perfect, but it saves 90% of the time.
Been going through doing this frame by frame on Premier Pro whilst trying to edit a spirited ride out with some mates. I Can't seem to get it to track as some people say in this thread, any Ideas what I'm doing wrong I've tried youtube for answers? Thought I had it sussed until I played it back, the blur is just jumping all over the screen...... Spent 3 hours doing it this evening and haven't even covered 1 minute of footage.......:oops:

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I think @Drakhen99 has done a video on how to do this on a different editor, but it is possibly transferable.
I use Filmora Wondershare 9, and the tracking and masking feature on that is really simple and works ok

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR

There's the thread on this forum I did which links to my YT video on it.

Like HD said, there's probably a tutorial on YT for PPro [I can't bring myself to just type in P and P next to each other without giggling].

Didn't you say you had problems installing Resolve? I highly recommend it, if you can get it to work :D

-John

SweetTripl

Sweet Triple
Mar 23, 2021
United Kingdom
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple R

There's the thread on this forum I did which links to my YT video on it.

Like HD said, there's probably a tutorial on YT for PPro [I can't bring myself to just type in P and P next to each other without giggling].

Didn't you say you had problems installing Resolve? I highly recommend it, if you can get it to work :D

-John
I’ve cracked it thank you! Been trying to figure it out and been steadily making progress for the last hour or so. Just looked at the clock and it’s 3am :oops:. I better get to bed lol, work I’m the morning!

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Get some sleep! I've been there, done that! Some of the special effects took me 8+ hours in Resolve to teach myself how to do it because I couldn't find tutorials on what I was trying to do, and not knowing the lingo didn't help!

Glad you got it workin!

-John

Reactions: SweetTripl

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts