Bad Bike Lesson Advice?

Sailormoto

Wannabie Member
Jul 4, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
so, I had my first bad bike lesson. Two days before my test. I'll go into a little run down of the lesson below and I'm just asking for a little advice from you guys to work out what I need to do next. It's pretty much obliterated any confidence I had and left me in no doubt that the test would be a fail. Sorry for the long post but it's better you know the full story to give good advice.

• Started badly with a timing mix up so I ended up arriving late after being woken up a lot earlier than expected so I was pretty tired. I think this is the first mistake.
  • The place I learn has two instructors. I've had them both before and they are both good but I do prefer one over the other. I'm doing this on a tight schedule so I'm sort of tossed between the two but it's hasn't really been an issue until now.
  • I had a 3 hour lesson with my preferred instructor two days ago that went well. The only issues being to get a bit smoother and build confidence.
  • This lesson was my first time in heavy rain so I was slightly nervous of that and being extra cautious.
  • The lesson today went badly. We started off on a confusing test route with double roundabouts, irregular lane setup etc. but I tried to muddle through it. This instructor is VERY quick to point mistakes out. I took the first roundabout in the wrong lane (wrong lane for the route we were taking but the right lane to take the roundabout) and as I was fixing it he was criticisin which put me off the fix I was doing and I messed it up. The problems then snowballed as each mistake earned a criticism which in turn made another mistake. This was the start.
  • The next issue was speed. I was being cautious. Taking turns slower and not getting up to max speed on the roads. At least not straightaway. This made him ask me (even though I couldn't reply) whether I'd seen the speed limit change every single time. I had and when we pulled him over and told him my reason he told me the bike was more than capable. I sure it is but I think slowly finding it's limits is better than blindly trusting it.
  • Add these problems together and I became quickly disinterested. I put minimum effort into riding and sure enough we pulled over again and I told him to end the lesson. He wanted to continue with me behind him but I had no interest in continuing and told him to end it. Following back to the ship I knew that was a good call as I was disinterested.
  • The other instructor barely said anything on our ride. He seemed to follow a pattern of waiting for you to make the same mistake a few times before a reminder when we were at stop lights and then a debrief when we stopped. Trying to ride, thinking about mistakes, hearing about the mistakes and then trying not to fuck up the next manoeuvre all while trying to stay upright was one step too many.
Now, my test is planned for Thursday with an hour before but nothing between now and then. We tried to book a lesson tomorow but it's the same guy and I made excuses and they're closed on Wednesdays so there's literally no time. I've tried to contact them to try and postpone the test but I think I'll be paying for it anyway so it may be worth a try. Any advice for this and was in the wrong or does the instructor seem to be a bit of a dick??

Clint Love

It doesn't say CUNT, dammit!
Jun 17, 2015
Dallas, Texas
www.therealclintlove.com
I ride a
2007 Ducati 1098s
The important thing is to remember it's called a lesson for a reason. you're learning. Some things you'll get quick, some you'll have to work on a few times. Your instructors are busting your balls in training to keep you from bleeding out there on the road. It's what they do. Don't let it discourage you. Let it motivate you. you'll be OK. We've all been there!

Sailormoto

Wannabie Member
Jul 4, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
The important thing is to remember it's called a lesson for a reason. you're learning. Some things you'll get quick, some you'll have to work on a few times. Your instructors are busting your balls in training to keep you from bleeding out there on the road. It's what they do. Don't let it discourage you. Let it motivate you. you'll be OK. We've all been there!

Yeh I'm glad I'm making mistakes here instead of the test but now knowing I have no time to work on problems or confidence has my mind set on failure.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
If the other instructor generally rubs you up the wrong way, rebook your test for another time and tell the school that you only want the one instructor.

You mention a time frame - don't set one. tests come up pretty quickly and test centres can book cancellations at any time, you won't be more than a week away.

Riding in the rain isn't all that bad, keep it steady and smooth, be progressive and do have faith in the bike, but it does take a bit of practice and confidence - bear in mind it may rain on your test day. Rain isn't that fun granted, but it is only water! You're still on a bike and potentially not stuck in a massive queue somewhere for hours in a car.

You will get off days, it's part of life. No point stressing about being late, if you're going to be late, call ahead, let them know and that's all there is to it, there's nothing more you can do and it won't change anything.

Do you drive at all by the way?

Sailormoto

Wannabie Member
Jul 4, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
If the other instructor generally rubs you up the wrong way, rebook your test for another time and tell the school that you only want the one instructor.

You mention a time frame - don't set one. tests come up pretty quickly and test centres can book cancellations at any time, you won't be more than a week away.

Riding in the rain isn't all that bad, keep it steady and smooth, be progressive and do have faith in the bike, but it does take a bit of practice and confidence - bear in mind it may rain on your test day. Rain isn't that fun granted, but it is only water! You're still on a bike and potentially not stuck in a massive queue somewhere for hours in a car.

You will get off days, it's part of life. No point stressing about being late, if you're going to be late, call ahead, let them know and that's all there is to it, there's nothing more you can do and it won't change anything.

Do you drive at all by the way?

I'm sure it was just an off day, it's just the closeness of the test that has me worried. That I don't have any time to settle myself down.

The rain doesnt bother me per se but I'd like to progress like you say. I disn't want to go from 30 to 60 in the rain in one swoop as I hadn't done it before. I was worrying about manhole covers, white lines, puddles on top of everything else and then being told I'd missed speed limits. I hadn't but I was just working my way up.

Yeh I drive a car. I'm very confident on the roads normally and I'd consider myself a good driver. I have no idea why some roads are confusing me a little.

O8ride

O8
May 16, 2013
I ride a
Inbetween bikes
I remember learning to drive. Took a mock test and completely cocked it up. Really. Took my test and passed without any issues. I'm sure you beiung tired could have been a reason for the main issues, and combining that with the first criticism and the rain putting you off, you couldn't get it out of your mind.

My training instruictor told me that I needed to get up to the speed limit as fast as possible, and if there is a slow moving vehicle ahead, overtake as early as possible. Bollocks, I thought, I'm riding within my own comfort zone thanks very much, even on the test.

Needless to say I got stuck behind a lorry on a major A-road. There was maybe one or two opportunities to pass, but I didn't fancy it. So I didn't overtake. I passed the test with zero minors.

The examiner is looking for you to be safe on the road, not to show off your prowess and the size of your dick because you're on a motorbike. Once you've passed, there's plenty that will tell you to go faster or take risks, or that you should filter at 60mph to get to the front and then set off like a rocket. It doesn't mean they're right.

Be safe out there and enjoy riding. Screw what anyone else says if it makes you feel uncomfortable

Sailormoto

Wannabie Member
Jul 4, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
I remember learning to drive. Took a mock test and completely cocked it up. Really. Took my test and passed without any issues. I'm sure you beiung tired could have been a reason for the main issues, and combining that with the first criticism and the rain putting you off, you couldn't get it out of your mind.

My training instruictor told me that I needed to get up to the speed limit as fast as possible, and if there is a slow moving vehicle ahead, overtake as early as possible. Bollocks, I thought, I'm riding within my own comfort zone thanks very much, even on the test.

Needless to say I got stuck behind a lorry on a major A-road. There was maybe one or two opportunities to pass, but I didn't fancy it. So I didn't overtake. I passed the test with zero minors.

The examiner is looking for you to be safe on the road, not to show off your prowess and the size of your dick because you're on a motorbike. Once you've passed, there's plenty that will tell you to go faster or take risks, or that you should filter at 60mph to get to the front and then set off like a rocket. It doesn't mean they're right.

Be safe out there and enjoy riding. Screw what anyone else says if it makes you feel uncomfortable

Yeh that's all I thought this lesson would be, a mock test. Just let me ride then send me away with things to think about. But, like you said it was a combination of things. Just a shame the confidence knock came at this time when even a week ago it would've been better.

Ive been told that as well. That I should be looking to overtake if traffic is moving slightly slower In one lane. I'd rather stay in that lane for the test and give myself time to think about things coming up etc.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
What O8 said basically. In terms of what speed you're doing, it should be appropriately to the limit, the road and the conditions.

They do have a category for making progress, and you should if it is safe to do so. If there's an overtake on, do have a look at it, show you know how to look to get ahead, but if you don't feel comfortable, then at least you've shown you have considered it.

If you ever get your instructor, or examiner for that matter telling you to do something you are uncomfortable with, find a safe place to pull over, stop and tell them why you have issue with what they said. Any decent examiner or instructor should respect you for doing that rather than pushing your comfort zone. Not necessarily a fail on your test either as long as you do what you do safely.

Clint Love

It doesn't say CUNT, dammit!
Jun 17, 2015
Dallas, Texas
www.therealclintlove.com
I ride a
2007 Ducati 1098s
All through practice I cocked up the figure 8. Every. Single. Time. I felt like an idiot and was angry at myself. then when test day came, I executed it almost perfectly. Surprised my instructors and even myself.

Don't be worried about paint stripes and manhole covers. Just focus on doing what the instructor tells you to do. When I was practicing the figure 8 I was too worried about falling down. When test day came I was more worried about passing than falling. That's how I broke out of my slump. It's OK to worry, but like I said in my previous post, let it motivate you.

Reactions: Lurch

captf

Wannabie Member
Apr 21, 2015
Manchester
I ride a
XJ6
Day of my mod 2, I was riding like utter shit. I just did not feel comfortable on the bike. I felt scared of it. Missing important road signs. But, I got my mistakes out the way, and passed - 4 minors.
During the test, I had a really sloppy corner that I thought would fail me, it was that bad. Didn't even get a mark for it.
My mistakes were 1 for going 35 in a 30, 1 for a missed observation, and 2 because I was too cautious around buses ["Are you planning to pick up passengers too?" as I decided to wait behind one instead of overtaking it].

For my car: first 2 attempts, I had the best drives ever in the pre-lessons. Failed abymsally in the tests.
3rd attempt. Pre-lesson was horrible. Every mistake possible, I made it. Passed.

So, did you pass?

Sailormoto

Wannabie Member
Jul 4, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Day of my mod 2, I was riding like utter shit. I just did not feel comfortable on the bike. I felt scared of it. Missing important road signs. But, I got my mistakes out the way, and passed - 4 minors.
During the test, I had a really sloppy corner that I thought would fail me, it was that bad. Didn't even get a mark for it.
My mistakes were 1 for going 35 in a 30, 1 for a missed observation, and 2 because I was too cautious around buses ["Are you planning to pick up passengers too?" as I decided to wait behind one instead of overtaking it].

For my car: first 2 attempts, I had the best drives ever in the pre-lessons. Failed abymsally in the tests.
3rd attempt. Pre-lesson was horrible. Every mistake possible, I made it. Passed.

So, did you pass?

I have......PASSED.

Went out for two hours before my lesson just following the instructor. Just watching what he was doing and bombing around test routes. It relaxed me totally and had only 1 or 2 problems such as a flat bed truck trying to squish me and a brain fart when approaching a roundabout where I just forgot about gears.

As for the test I was pretty much shitting it. Pulling away I was shaking a little but I'm contributing that to the cold. Everything seemed to go well and the test routes were the same roads but with a lot less turns so I was pretty comfortable. The big thing my instructor was worried about was that sometimes I don't notice speed limit changes up or down but there wasn't many on the route. I totally ballsed up the hill pull away by first stalling, then wobbling and eventually got away first attempt but I did recheck the roads and my blind spots every time so while it looked messy it was actually ok but I picked up a minor for that. I also got a minor for pulling up adjacent to a junction. I still have no idea where it was, I was expecting a minor for this anyway as twice when I pulled over I didn't change over the indicator before pulling away.

So that's it all done. 2 minors and I now have a full A license. Thanks for the all advice guys

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Excellent! Congratulations!!

Might have felt worse as you're your own worst critic, and you also know you didn't do that bit well etc, but the examiner can only go on what he can see, and he's got his own observations to do as well.

MrJoel

Rom: one-one-six unashamed
Jun 14, 2015
Louisville, Ky
www.facebook.com
I ride a
1994 seca II
Cafe 1992 seca II
Good to know you know yourself well! Seriously, on thing that has kept me safest is knowing my limits and my mood. If I do t want to ride in the rain, I take the car. If I know I didn't sleep well, if I have a headache, if I feel distracted, fuzzy headed or dizzy...take the car or stay home. Don't sweat it, riding is about freedom and fun...it shouldn't be a chore

Sailormoto

Wannabie Member
Jul 4, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Thanks guys!

Yeh lurch I am normally pretty hard on myself in pretty much everything but I guess that helps even though it can be shitty at times. He was pretty far behind me which I found okay.

It only takes a few looks at YouTube crashes and friends stories to know that a lot of people say, when they crash, that they werent feeling it that day or something like that. Luckily I'm not going to be a bike commuter so if it's not gonna be a fun ride then I won't be doing it.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts