Avoiding Commuting On The Bike

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Boulevard s83 & Boulevard s40
I've been avoiding commuting to and from work on my bike for two reasons.
For me I've found that it causes me to associate my bike with a chore. Because I'm not having much fun on bike while commuting I start to forget how fun my bike can be. And then on my days off I want to do something different than spend more time in the saddle, even though the whole time I'm at work I'm dreaming about getting to ride on my day off.

The other is safety. I work a 12hr night shift and going to and from work I'm always very tired. I once actually lowsided on a slow turn in an intersection. I was so tired that I just leaned too far, didn't counter steer at all and just fell over smacking the pavement.
The repetition is also a hazard for me. Driving the same route at the same time in the same traffic, I don't pay enough attention to my surroundings.

I find it much more enjoyable to just sit back in my truck, turn on some music, and crank up the AC. Unfortunately right now I need to replace a bunch of front end parts in my truck and so my bike is the only means of transportation right now. Also I can't carry a very big lunch in my tail bag and I can't take naps on break like I can in my truck.

Do any of y'all like to commute on your motorcycle and do you have any difficulties with it?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I work 5miles from home. I actually got a bike back in October 2017 to commute on, a KTM 390 Duke, but only commuted in on it a handful of times so traded it for a dual sport I could take offroad. I tend to drive to work mostly as I also do 12hr shifts and the winter morning ride home after a night shift is not really that appealing with icy roads or rain. In the summer I will ride to work on occasions but it is generally faster for me to go by car than bike with all the faffery of getting in my bike kit and getting it out of my garage.

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
I work 5miles from home. I actually got a bike back in October 2017 to commute on, a KTM 390 Duke, but only commuted in on it a handful of times so traded it for a dual sport I could take offroad. I tend to drive to work mostly as I also do 12hr shifts and the winter morning ride home after a night shift is not really that appealing with icy roads or rain. In the summer I will ride to work on occasions but it is generally faster for me to go by car than bike with all the faffery of getting in my bike kit and getting it out of my garage.
We get plenty of rain here, but I'm very thankful that we don't get snow. It's never too cold to ride in FL. How do you like the 12hr nights? I've been doing it for a year and a half now and I hate it. I'm not getting enough sleep and because I have to be up during the day on my days off I'm also never actually fully adjusted to being up during any time. Also not a fan of 12hr. I would rather be able to do things every evening than to have the blocks that we have off. I don't know how someone with a family can do it. I wouldn't be able to go this long without spending any time with my family. When they force me overtime I sometimes end up working 7 nights in a row, and when its straight out of bed to work and straight off work to bed it gets bad. Sorry to go so off topic.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I've worked shifts of one sort or another for most of my working life so am used to it now. When I was in the RN on patrol we used to do 6hrs on, 6hrs off, 6hrs on, 6hrs off 7 days a week for around 3 months, that was fun lol :D My current shift pattern gets me 7 full days off every month plus the rest days between shift changes so I'm glad to be doing 12hr shifts.... and if I book 4 more shifts off I can have a full 2 weeks off work in that 28 day cycle, so suits me to the ground.... does mean I do a 72hr week once a month though which is a killer.

D-Cycle

Wannabie Member
Mar 9, 2019
I ride a
2018 Harley-Davidson Sport Glide
Sometimes, commuting is the only time I get to ride. Two small kids, so I don't have the luxury of going riding whenever I want. Any time I get to ride, it's a blessing.

Reactions: FloridaMan

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I try to commute year around except for the height of the winter cold season (which is pretty much now). If I'm not commuting to work I feel frustrating. It can be more money if I have to take trains or take our car and pay for parking. I sometimes have long hours at work, but I'm also up pretty early - 5:30 am and on the road by 6:30 am, with a return trip home somewhere after 8-9 pm at night, or longer (depends on what classes I'm teaching).

Riding my bike beats the tedium of driving a car. Sure there's AC and music, but it feels passive and a lost opportunity of really riding outdoors. Motovlogging makes it worthwhile too.

- Wolf

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
I work 12 hours shift too, with rotating day/night pattern. I find that I'm more prone to fall asleep if I drive, since it's so comfortable with cushy seat, music, A/C.

I would not associate riding as a chore or work because I find that knowing that I get to ride makes me more enthusiastic to get up and go for work, plus the feeling of riding to work and riding for fun is different for me.

So even though our opinions are different but it just depends on each of us how we see it I guess.

• Love
Reactions: HippoDrone

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
I don't have a car license so its a bike only. I'm about 5ish mins from work. Its still cheaper to have both bikes than a car. Then when I do get to go out I get to enjoy the ride and the bike again.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
I've been avoiding commuting to and from work on my bike for two reasons.
For me I've found that it causes me to associate my bike with a chore. Because I'm not having much fun on bike while commuting I start to forget how fun my bike can be. And then on my days off I want to do something different than spend more time in the saddle, even though the whole time I'm at work I'm dreaming about getting to ride on my day off.

The other is safety. I work a 12hr night shift and going to and from work I'm always very tired. I once actually lowsided on a slow turn in an intersection. I was so tired that I just leaned too far, didn't counter steer at all and just fell over smacking the pavement.
The repetition is also a hazard for me. Driving the same route at the same time in the same traffic, I don't pay enough attention to my surroundings.

I find it much more enjoyable to just sit back in my truck, turn on some music, and crank up the AC. Unfortunately right now I need to replace a bunch of front end parts in my truck and so my bike is the only means of transportation right now. Also I can't carry a very big lunch in my tail bag and I can't take naps on break like I can in my truck.

Do any of y'all like to commute on your motorcycle and do you have any difficulties with it?
I work shifts including seven nights on the bounce too, on a side note, employers should be more responsible for their staff fatigue levels to include getting home safely. I’ve also recently started mixing up my ride home to keep the concentration up. However I am also sometimes keen to take the quickest route to bed. The commute, for me is all about parking and the bike wins hands down of course. So many times I’ve been tempted to ride straight by work and carry on riding instead of going in ☺️

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Been commuting 9 years almost daily. It definitely can get tedious, especially with same route, same time of day, etc. You should try take slightly different routes, even small route changes make a difference.

The tired thing, try open your visor, try lower your temp(only temporarily and only a little) then go back to your normal temp. Somewhat works for me.

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Been commuting 9 years almost daily. It definitely can get tedious, especially with same route, same time of day, etc. You should try take slightly different routes, even small route changes make a difference.

The tired thing, try open your visor, try lower your temp(only temporarily and only a little) then go back to your normal temp. Somewhat works for me.
I don't always know how tired I am. I just lose focus and motor skills.

Reactions: Riderguide

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I commute as often as possible on the bike. The winters in New England aren't optimal for all year riding but I try. And I have at least a dozen different routes home. My work schedule varies from 8 to 16 hours depending on the time of year so fatigue can be a big factor on the ride home but I still prefer being on the bike.

Reactions: WheelyPerd

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
I commute as often as possible on the bike. The winters in New England aren't optimal for all year riding but I try. And I have at least a dozen different routes home. My work schedule varies from 8 to 16 hours depending on the time of year so fatigue can be a big factor on the ride home but I still prefer being on the bike.
Y'all are making me feel like I complain about my job too much.

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
Y'all are making me feel like I complain about my job too much.

Not my intention at all. I totally understand not wanting to ruin something in your life that you love by making or associating it with work! Or doing it when you're not 100% into it or just too tired to actually enjoy it. Riding is personal and also requires all of your faculties to do it safe and keep it fun. I personally just enjoy riding and gave an example of how I keep routes home fresh by having a bunch of different ways I can make the journey.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
It all depends on the weather and if it is a busy day or not.
Taking an hour off and riding the long way home is amazing :)

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Not my intention at all. I totally understand not wanting to ruin something in your life that you love by making or associating it with work! Or doing it when you're not 100% into it or just too tired to actually enjoy it. Riding is personal and also requires all of your faculties to do it safe and keep it fun. I personally just enjoy riding and gave an example of how I keep routes home fresh by having a bunch of different ways I can make the journey.
No, man that's not what I meant. You're good. I'm just saying that you and a lot of the guys on here are working long shifts and I was surprised by the popularity of it on this forum.

Foreigner0

Wannabie Member
Jun 3, 2016
I ride a
BMW F800GT
I commute daily , all year round, but draw a line at when it's snowing or when temperature drops below -4 C :)

Riding to and from work is the highlight of my day and I love riding on my free time as well.

During winter, there's only me and another guy that rides the opposite route. We go past each other every day and nod :)

Fair weather riders are starting ro come out now, some of them riding like idiots, as if they own the road.

Don't get me started on that as I'll go on a rant on a controversial topic.

Ride safe chaps and chappettes.

Foreigner0

Wannabie Member
Jun 3, 2016
I ride a
BMW F800GT
M
I did a bit of bike commuting but its not worth it for me as its just a 25min ride and a pain to carry change of clothes.
Plus cycling to the station and walking to work gives me some much needed exercise.

I only ride at weekends (when I get the chance) and only when dry and above 10c.
My commute's roughly 25 mins as well and I carry all my stuff in the blue roll bag in the photo below. Was a bit of a faff in the begining but it's an automated process now :)

Reactions: mykb93

tarmacjapa

Bike Hub Japan
Mar 9, 2019
Japan
I ride a
KTM Superduke
Suzuki SV650S
For me getting up in the morning is a drag. But knowing that my bike is downstairs waiting makes it a little easier to get out of bed. My commute is about 5km only, but in Japan that's a ballache. If I drove by car it would take 25 minutes. On my bike it's only 11 minutes. Like you said about the same route being boring, I go different routes everyday, mainly to avoid red lights, but I change it up just to keep it interesting. Going home at night I drive through the neon lit downtown area just to remind me that I'm living in Japan. When you work 6 days a week, where you live tends to not be important anymore...just work work work. I would go insane if I had to take the train or drive everyday.

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I'm going to be making a few more routes for my journey, winter is coming and I'll be commuting in the dark, half asleep. Keep us updated with your commutes, would love to hear if anything improved for you.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts