Audio Issues Lav Mic & Hero4 Black

Ragamuffin

Wannabie Member
Mar 3, 2020
Rome, Italy
I ride a
MT-07 Yamaha
Hey!

So I've got hold of my Hero4 black and a lab mic that I've booked up to my helmet.

I've used a GoPro official adapter and when I can back to test the footages it sounds like I'm only getting interference on the audio, there's no actual audio on the file, just that interference.

Assuming the connection is bad.

Anyone got any ideas?

Tomorrow I'll double check everything better if possible.

City Bob

Wannabie Member
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
20200702_173212.jpg

I was having issues with my lav mic and when I investigated it, it was because it was damaged.

This is the mic I bought back when it was £20. Now it's £70+!!!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VWCK0BE?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It worked, but broke after 5 months. Not worth the money when it was 20. I'd not pay 70 for it.

I've just updated to a Hero7 and bought this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YD9ZSNJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2sLaFb8BS41H9

It hasn't arrived yet. I'll let you know my thoughts during the week once it arrives and I get to use it. I had to reorder as first one didn't turn up

Ragamuffin

Wannabie Member
Mar 3, 2020
Rome, Italy
I ride a
MT-07 Yamaha
I am assuming it is happening at all speeds?
Correct.

It's that buzzing sound you get when touching two cables together, but not having a good connection.

The connection looks good, just hoping it's not the lav mic. Feel like I've wasted 10g of footage now haha.

Ragamuffin

Wannabie Member
Mar 3, 2020
Rome, Italy
I ride a
MT-07 Yamaha
RESOLVED!

So I found the issue, I should of considered this soon as I used to be a sound engineer, but that's what happens when you trust online information.

You need to use a 2-ring 3.5mm jack
NOT a 3 ring, with the Audio Adapter (for Hero4, later adapters, I have no idea)

Photo for reference, note the black rings.
problem.jpg

City Bob

Wannabie Member
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
You're saying this is for the Hero4? You can get the mics with the correct plug already on them. I tried adaptors but they never worked for me.

This is the mic that broke at the other end, but it worked up until that happened.

20200706_093027.jpg

Ragamuffin

Wannabie Member
Mar 3, 2020
Rome, Italy
I ride a
MT-07 Yamaha
You're saying this is for the Hero4? You can get the mics with the correct plug already on them. I tried adaptors but they never worked for me.

This is the mic that broke at the other end, but it worked up until that happened.

View attachment 5097
That's certainly an option. I'm using an official goPro adapter, which works well. It's only a 4" cable (no brick like the later models need)
The non-official ones don't work normally, this is by design as goPro wants you to only use branded items. (Think it cost about £10)

I also use this Lav mic for other things too, so I'm happy to use it, I can easily remove it and throw it on a shirt if I'm doing something else.

Top Posters Past 30 days

Winners Video

Latest posts