anyone running 2 cameras AND an audio recorder?

LimeyRider

Wannabie Member
Jan 3, 2023
Fleet
I ride a
Yamaha YBR Custom and a Suzuki SV650 - Toying with a Triumph of some sort, undecided as of yet.
I'm worried I may have just opened myself up to a world of pain in editing BUT, if it pays off, I think it could really add some quality in my vids. I'm running 2 cameras as it is, 1 on the helmet and 1 on my handle bars, usually I just cut the audio off of my handlebar camera and sync the video with the audio from the helmet mounted camera, which although isn't an overly hard task, can some times be time consuming if i forget to drop a clap or something in before setting off so have no bench mark to work off of...

Anyway, I've just done an impulse buy, and bought an audio recorder to bang somewhere near my engine - has anyone else done this, and if you have, how much more time is it likely to add during editing, now that there will be 3 audio files to match up before even beginning the footage editing xD

I'm not by any means saying I don't want to be spending hours on making decent videos, just wondering how much extra work I've just caused my self haha

Cheers!

PhilTonic

English Kraut
Aug 17, 2014
I ride a
KTM 690 SMC R
Manual:

1. Get yourself a loud horn.
2. Set all devices to correct date and times.
3. Honk when you start recording. Works mid ride, too.
4. Match times of all files.
5. Search 60 seconds back and forth for your honk.

LimeyRider

Wannabie Member
Jan 3, 2023
Fleet
I ride a
Yamaha YBR Custom and a Suzuki SV650 - Toying with a Triumph of some sort, undecided as of yet.
Manual:

1. Get yourself a loud horn.
2. Set all devices to correct date and times.
3. Honk when you start recording. Works mid ride, too.
4. Match times of all files.
5. Search 60 seconds back and forth for your honk.
Well.. when you put it like that, I don't know why I asked, seems so easy hahaha. thanks dude!

Reactions: Drakhen99

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I use multiple cameras and a voice recorder on trackdays, not allowed helmet cameras, so is the only way I can currently get in helmet audio. It is a faff, but as @PhilTonic explained, it is not difficult :)

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
The horn is an interesting idea - I like it! I almost never use the clap method. Instead, I sync up by using GoPro's The Remote to start/stop recording, which gets the cameras within a second of sync [and it's important since my face is visible], and then I look at the audio waveform in Resolve for each matching clip pair/set, and adjust until they're synced. Not as easy when riding, but if there's a slow or stopped section where I'm talking, it's easy.

-John

Reactions: LimeyRider

LimeyRider

Wannabie Member
Jan 3, 2023
Fleet
I ride a
The horn is an interesting idea - I like it! I almost never use the clap method. Instead, I sync up by using GoPro's The Remote to start/stop recording, which gets the cameras within a second of sync [and it's important since my face is visible], and then I look at the audio waveform in Resolve for each matching clip pair/set, and adjust until they're synced. Not as easy when riding, but if there's a slow or stopped section where I'm talking, it's easy.

-John
That's similar to how I did my first dual cam vid, it was a lot of trial and error how ever haha

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
That's similar to how I did my first dual cam vid, it was a lot of trial and error how ever haha
Ahh, yes, I think we ALL remember our first dual camera video ... more than one camera involved, and it got awkward real quick - and then we all tried the clap, but eventually found our rhythm.

Sorry, couldn't help myself... I'll see myself out. Too funny of a joke [in my head] to resist.

-John

• Haha
Reactions: LimeyRider

MotoMaddox

\_ ^ … ^ _/
Jan 19, 2023
I ride a
Kawasaki Z900
This is a very interesting topic for me, as I recently purchased a TASCAM DR-05X to augment my single, helmet mounted GoPro setup. I wanted to step up my audio capture/quality, specifically my exhaust sound, and researching audio capture devices is actually what led me to this site.

I took out the TASCAM on a maiden voyage just yesterday, and had it mounted to the frame of my bike just behind my right leg and tucked under the rear of the bike ( Kawasaki Z900 Naked Sport Bike). I got extremely lucky with the settings, as I went with simply reducing the input level to zero, and my audio came out well.

The three clap method for syncing worked well for me. I also did a three horn sync just for an extra signature/waypoint in the files. This does add a few additional steps to post processing, as I had two large .wav audio files, and multiple .mp4 files that I normally wound't edit all at the same time, but I had two pull all of the video that was covered by the captured audio.

Another complexity is I'm looking to add a 2nd camera and want to do a 360 camera. The problem is the Insta 360 currently has more/better features that the GoPro Max, so I could potentially have to contend with two different Image capture environments! I'm hoping GoPro updates the Max soon.

20230123_184301-TASCAM-Mounted.jpeg

MotoMaddox

\_ ^ … ^ _/
Jan 19, 2023
I ride a
Kawasaki Z900
This is a very interesting topic for me, as I recently purchased a TASCAM DR-05X to augment my single, helmet mounted GoPro setup. I wanted to step up my audio capture/quality, specifically my exhaust sound, and researching audio capture devices is actually what led me to this site.

I took out the TASCAM on a maiden voyage just yesterday, and had it mounted to the frame of my bike just behind my right leg and tucked under the rear of the bike ( Kawasaki Z900 Naked Sport Bike). I got extremely lucky with the settings, as I went with simply reducing the input level to zero, and my audio came out well.

The three clap method for syncing worked well for me. I also did a three horn sync just for an extra signature/waypoint in the files. This does add a few additional steps to post processing, as I had two large .wav audio files, and multiple .mp4 files that I normally wound't edit all at the same time, but I had two pull all of the video that was covered by the captured audio.

Another complexity is I'm looking to add a 2nd camera and want to do a 360 camera. The problem is the Insta 360 currently has more/better features that the GoPro Max, so I could potentially have to contend with two different Image capture environments! I'm hoping GoPro updates the Max soon.

View attachment 6618
...a bit more zoomed out view of the TASCAM mount:

20230123_184301-TASCAM-Mounted-2.jpeg

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I'm sure I have said in the past the reasons I got rid of my GoPro Max and kept the Insta360 cameras, but IMO, they are currently far superior to the Max, am sure others disagree, but the weight of the One X2 vs the Max as well as the form factor, better stitch, and awesome included editing software, makes it a winner for me, even if they did snub me after all the promotion work I did for them lol :D

MotoMaddox

\_ ^ … ^ _/
Jan 19, 2023
I ride a
Kawasaki Z900
I'm sure I have said in the past the reasons I got rid of my GoPro Max and kept the Insta360 cameras, but IMO, they are currently far superior to the Max, am sure others disagree, but the weight of the One X2 vs the Max as well as the form factor, better stitch, and awesome included editing software, makes it a winner for me, even if they did snub me after all the promotion work I did for them lol :D
HA! Yes everything that I've researched points to the Insta 360 ( X3 specifically) being superior to the MAX at the moment. I'm a bit invested in GoPro as I have a hero 8, the remote, and a few other accessories - not to mention the subscription. It would be so much easier for me to just add a MAX to my gear, but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on that MAX purchase given the X3 is available as an alternative...

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Maybe see what this year holds as they will both no doubt bring out new cameras!

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I happen to love my Max - but I know I'm in the minority. For what I use it for, it's aces. I also hope that GoPro releases a new one this year. I'm stuck in their ecosystem with the remote as well, so it would be nice to keep with the same company - my 8/9/10/Max multicam recording and editing is quite a bit easier than managing multiple brands of cameras.

That TASCAM setup looks neat, but I'd be worried about stuff flying up and hitting it. For editing, I'd recommend creating a multicam clip in your editor, with the TASCAM audio as a 2nd audio track [and duplicating your video if your editor requires an audio/video track pair]. That should make editing a bit easier, once it's all lined up.

-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Didn't you have to buy a new remote for the Hero 10?
Yeah, I guess I did - I have The Remote. But it works with the 8, 9, 10, and the Max. It's supposed to work with an 11, but I don't have one of those, and when my Hero 10 applied an update to The Remote, it FUBARed the works... so I'm hesitant to get an 11 LOL.

-John

• Wow

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I'm done with chasing the tech each year, the Hero 10 has amazing video quality.... I still only record with it at 1080, and upscale for the good codec, but it is leaps and bounds better than the 8 and 9 :)

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I'm done with chasing the tech each year, the Hero 10 has amazing video quality.... I still only record with it at 1080, and upscale for the good codec, but it is leaps and bounds better than the 8 and 9 :)
Pretty much! The 11 has a new sensor, which intrigues me, but even with the issues I've had with the 9 and 10, I'm able to work around most if not all of them... so I'm still holding out.

FWIW, I am shooting at 2.7k on my GoPros, Max Lens Mod or not. The space is not a huge issue [30% increase], but the extra details are quite noticeable to me.

-John

MotoMaddox

\_ ^ … ^ _/
Jan 19, 2023
I ride a
Kawasaki Z900
I happen to love my Max - but I know I'm in the minority. For what I use it for, it's aces. I also hope that GoPro releases a new one this year. I'm stuck in their ecosystem with the remote as well, so it would be nice to keep with the same company - my 8/9/10/Max multicam recording and editing is quite a bit easier than managing multiple brands of cameras.

That TASCAM setup looks neat, but I'd be worried about stuff flying up and hitting it. For editing, I'd recommend creating a multicam clip in your editor, with the TASCAM audio as a 2nd audio track [and duplicating your video if your editor requires an audio/video track pair]. That should make editing a bit easier, once it's all lined up.

-John
Thanks J! Appreciate the input. I'm using iMovie and did use the TASCAM audio as a totally separate track. I got a little experience with that before when shooting some "in-garage" installation shots with my go pro on a tri-pod, along with my phone for additional video angles to get some of the details.

As and aside, when I first signed up here I checked out a bunch of your videos and subscribed. Great editing and story telling. It's funny your handle here references Forest Gump, but I'd say your video style is more like Seinfeld ( i.e. the story/theme can be about anything, but it's still entertaining). Great work!

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Thanks J! Appreciate the input. I'm using iMovie and did use the TASCAM audio as a totally separate track. I got a little experience with that before when shooting some "in-garage" installation shots with my go pro on a tri-pod, along with my phone for additional video angles to get some of the details.

As and aside, when I first signed up here I checked out a bunch of your videos and subscribed. Great editing and story telling. It's funny your handle here references Forest Gump, but I'd say your video style is more like Seinfeld ( i.e. the story/theme can be about anything, but it's still entertaining). Great work!
Thanks man, glad you're enjoying the vids - that's why I make 'em!

The Forrest Gump reference was what @Dewey316 tagged me with a couple of years ago - he said that whenever you clicked on a Road Reality video, you never knew what you were gonna get - it could be a vlog, a how-to, an install, or a product review. You're right though, Seinfeld is a good reference... I may have to change my signature block :D

If it makes you feel better about separate tracks - I did a 3-hour ride with my neighbor lady [search my channel for Yamaha to find it], wherein I had 3 cameras, 2 mics, 2 riders, and 2 bikes... the cacophony of noise was so painful to edit [until I started using Clarity] that it just sat... it was physically painful to edit for more than 10 minutes at a stretch, what with all the engine noise, voices, and wind.

-John

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts