Feedback Needed Anyone here using Sony FDR X3000 with Minimotoworks HELmic?

Phil480

UK based Motovlogger on the South Coast
Feb 23, 2018
West Sussex, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Scrambler (2015)
Kawasaki GPZ 500 S (2000)
After seeing many good reviews and audio tests I ordered one of these HELmics from minimotoworks.com, as it is supposedly meant to work perfectly with the Sony FDR X3000 (which has bad audio issues with most other microphones).
It has arrived today and I've plugged it in for a test and it sounds awful, just as bad as my old one before I added an inline volume control. The audio levels are just far too high to be useable. Has anyone else got a X3000 and using one of these HELmics?
I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my camera, all the other videos I have seen, the mic just works, no fuss.
The only reasons I bought this mic was that it is supposed to work fine without any extra inline controls, and it works better than Sony's stereo mic.
I have emailed minimotoworks, will see what they say.

Phil480

Feb 23, 2018
West Sussex, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Scrambler (2015)
He does, and he has told me what mic he is using but I forget.
However, I may have sussed it out...
I have done a test on my way home tonight and it's actually not as bad. My first test was just me sat indoors which sounded bad (not sure why, I'm guessing the camera auto adjusts the gain or something). After watching back the ride test this evening, the mic seems to work better. I'm uploading some test footage now, will post the link when it's done.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Phil480

Feb 23, 2018
West Sussex, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Scrambler (2015)
It does clip a bit at high speed without the volume control. So I'll do more testing to find what works best. At least for now, the mic is certainly useable :)

Reactions: HippoDrone

Phil480

Feb 23, 2018
West Sussex, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Scrambler (2015)
How are you getting on with the HelMic ?
So far, so good! I have now got it positioned inside my cheek pad, so far that has been working well for me.
It is fine if you are moving and have ambient engine noise etc, but if you're still it goes far too loud. I can only assume that this is the camera automatically adjusting the gain because it doesn't do it with my Ghost X camera.

Ekimyrf

Wannabie Member
Feb 16, 2017
North Wales
I ride a
Moto Guzzi Griso
Ducati Multistrada
Thanks for the quick reply
Do you know what mic it uses is it a Sony one? - I like the idea of how it fits in the helmet

Cheers Mike

chaosnaut

one who travels through utter confusion
Mar 26, 2015
India
I ride a
Yamaha Crux 2012
I ride with an FDR-X3000. I typically use a super-cheap mic and duct-tape it inside my helmet.

Yours sounds excellent!

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts