Any electronics experts here?

EDcase

-=RC8=-
Jan 26, 2016
SouthEast UK
I ride a
KTM RC8 Putytat
Hiall,

I've got a Gitup Git2 which can use a USB mic and can be charged while recording.
Problem is it only has one USB plug so can't use mic and charge at the same time.

My question is would the diagram below work?
Diag.jpg

Charging is done through pins 1 & 5 but the mic also uses the +ve pin 1 line but not with 5v going through it.
I assume pumping 5v through the mic to data pin 2 would be bad? (I put the diode to stop current flow in)

Any help greatly appreciated

Reactions: City Bob and Pooley

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
I imagine this is possibly a similar reason to why GoPro cameras have a hissy fit when using an external mic and running power to it.

EDcase

-=RC8=-
Jan 26, 2016
SouthEast UK
I ride a
KTM RC8 Putytat
Hey PT.
So you can do it with a GoPro but its not happy?

A USB splitter would do the same thing as the diagram but without the diode protection so I don't want to risk it.

I guess I'll just use it with the mic and swap the plug to charge when off the bike.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I have used this camera for about 6 months now and really like them, I have just acquired a second one for that reason.

I have already looked into this and it's really one or the other, obvious route would be mic on the input and removable batteries for power. If you're concerned about not having enough battery power to last throughout your ride/day, spares and charge bases can be had off Ebay for about a tenner for a set.

I might make another video on the GitUp at some point bow I know how to use it :)

Reactions: LandyVlad

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
Hey PT.
So you can do it with a GoPro but its not happy?

A USB splitter would do the same thing as the diagram but without the diode protection so I don't want to risk it.

I guess I'll just use it with the mic and swap the plug to charge when off the bike.
The mic adaptor on the 5, 6 & 7 allows power and a mic, but has a hissy fit on them all except for the Hero 5 Session

EDcase

-=RC8=-
Jan 26, 2016
SouthEast UK
I ride a
KTM RC8 Putytat
@Pooley: Yeah I've got a spare battery but it would have been a nice solution and an easy mod to make a cable to take the mic and power if I knew it wouldn't blow up the Git**

@HippoD: Interesting thanks.

** After a shitty ride in the rain today the Git is poorly after getting a tiny bit wet. (it had a weather protection cover but not the underwater case) I'll leave it in the ironing cupboard to see if it clears up otherwise its going in the bin and I'm not recording anymore.

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
The mic input doesn't go directly to the USB... pin 2 is a data signal, data neg to be exact, pin 3 is data pos.

Those take digital signals, not the analogue signal from a standard mic. A USB mic has an ADC built in powered from the USB port itself.

If you have a USB mic, and a charging cable, you can try splicing them, or use a USB splitter, and see what happens.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
@Pooley: Yeah I've got a spare battery but it would have been a nice solution and an easy mod to make a cable to take the mic and power if I knew it wouldn't blow up the Git**

@HippoD: Interesting thanks.

** After a shitty ride in the rain today the Git is poorly after getting a tiny bit wet. (it had a weather protection cover but not the underwater case) I'll leave it in the ironing cupboard to see if it clears up otherwise its going in the bin and I'm not recording anymore.
Did you nearly throw your toys? :D

EDcase

-=RC8=-
Jan 26, 2016
SouthEast UK
I ride a
KTM RC8 Putytat
Lol, well if it didn't work I wasn't gona keep it :p and I wouldn't be arsed to find a new camera setup again. Just not worth it. for me.

@motosera: The usb mic looks really basic without any circuitry so I assume it would take some current from the +ve pin 1 and modulate it to data pin 2. Maybe I'm thinking too analogue but I've got no idea of usb protocols.

I don't really want to risk connecting the +5v of the battery bank through the mic to data pin 2.
...but thinking about it, I guess pin 1 would supply +5v anyway right?

I think I'll leave it for now to see if I really need a battery bank at all.

Cheers all for replies
...except you Pete :p

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
Do they do dummy batteries for them? A dummy battery is a box that goes where the battery goes, but isn't a battery - it has a cable hanging out of it that you connect to power. The camera thinks it has a fully charged battery inside it but the "battery" is actually hard wired to power.

Reactions: EDcase

EDcase

-=RC8=-
Jan 26, 2016
SouthEast UK
I ride a
KTM RC8 Putytat
I know what you mean but I don't think they have anything like that.
If one of my batteries fail I will try and rig that up thanks

KrustyBoot

Become one with the Krustyness
Jun 8, 2020
East Anglia, UK.
I ride a
All the shit bikes! :)
I use the Gitup Git2 and I record 1440p @30fps with stabilisation. I found that simply buying a more power dense battery was a big improvement. More than enough to cover a typical ride. If I'm going for a longer ride I'll take a spare battery. I wish the stabilisation didn't crop so much of the image though.

EDcase

-=RC8=-
Jan 26, 2016
SouthEast UK
I ride a
KTM RC8 Putytat
@HippoDrone 1080p 30 Low bitrate.

@KrustyBoot I haven't compared the view with and without. Its OK for what I need tho.
The only problem I found is that the stabilisation doesn't work properly if the camera is inverted and the rotate option is turned on. I sent a message to Gitup about it but don't really expect a reply. I'll just change the mounting so its the right way up.

KrustyBoot

Become one with the Krustyness
Jun 8, 2020
East Anglia, UK.
I ride a
All the shit bikes! :)
I use the open cage type camera retainer and the camera fits in it both ways up and you can still get to all the buttons. If it rains I just put it in my pocket. :)

EDcase

-=RC8=-
Jan 26, 2016
SouthEast UK
I ride a
KTM RC8 Putytat
Yeah, I use the same holder. Just don't put it in upside down even though it has the option to rotate the view.

Top Posters Past 30 days

Winners Video