An Interesting Question...

Loki

Wannabie Member
Oct 22, 2017
I ride a
GSXR BRO (lol)
I'm just getting into the MotoVlog game (mainly as a creative break from reality). But, my question is are there people you don't want on your channel? I feel than anyone that knows me personally (in what i can my "real life"), it would be better if they don't know about my channel. I guess to keep my identity anonymous (I want to stay anonymous to maintain the integrity of my "character" on the channel). That and I almost die a lot on my bike (not from crazy antics, but in SoCal people don;t watch (other than their phones lol)). I'm just curious about some of your takes on this subject.

Reactions: Mr. G

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Some folk stay anonymous others show their faces. You may find promoting your channel a little harder if you want to stop friends/family/colleagues from knowing about your channel.

Loki

Wannabie Member
Oct 22, 2017
I ride a
GSXR BRO (lol)
I use a different name but if I didn't Vlog for work I'd use my own name, I've never seen the point of an alias. I don't care if people see my face other than it looks like a bag of spanners.

I hear ya, for me this is kind of a therapeutic thing. When my helmet goes on I don't have to be me, witch is why I'm creating this character (based on me, but Loki doesn't have the same problems as I do in "real life"). It's more my escape from reality, and I want to keep me anonymous mainly to preserve that character. I'm a bit of a mess in "real life" so it's a bit of a therapeutic experiment.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I would advise against letting the alternate persona taking over who you really are.

There is at least one "big" motovlogger that I used to correspond with. They started out humble with an alias and as their notoriety grew online through some skilled cultivation, the persona became the dominant force in their decision making to the point that they near died twice and the last crash pretty much ended their riding career.

Even using your own identity does not always work out well if people believe you are a certain way. You may try to fulfill their expectations and get caught up in it - research bike builder Billy Lane and check out how he ended up in life compared to his brother who also builds.

History is littered with personalities that got out of hand.

Fame changes folks if they let it. I will listen to the song Deception from Blackalicious from time to time to keep me grounded.

As far as your friends, family, etc. seeing the near death Cali traffic - heck if they check online or live there then they already know. Let them in on your art while you can if it is good.

Loki

Wannabie Member
Oct 22, 2017
I ride a
GSXR BRO (lol)
I would advise against letting the alternate persona taking over who you really are.

There is at least one "big" motovlogger that I used to correspond with. They started out humble with an alias and as their notoriety grew online through some skilled cultivation, the persona became the dominant force in their decision making to the point that they near died twice and the last crash pretty much ended their riding career.

Even using your own identity does not always work out well if people believe you are a certain way. You may try to fulfill their expectations and get caught up in it - research bike builder Billy Lane and check out how he ended up in life compared to his brother who also builds.

History is littered with personalities that got out of hand.

Fame changes folks if they let it. I will listen to the song Deception from Blackalicious from time to time to keep me grounded.

As far as your friends, family, etc. seeing the near death Cali traffic - heck if they check online or live there then they already know. Let them in on your art while you can if it is good.

Good points. In my past I once had another persona (in the underground party scene), and I made the mistake of letting that take over too much of my life. It was a big mess, and took a long time to sort out. I took things too far, and it took more from me than in gave. I believe I have found ways to keep things separate, and am basing this character closely to myself. But, something to always keep in mind.

Also, once things get going I just may start by letting some people that are close to me (that share similar likes to this) know about it first, and take it from there. I really like this forum as I get some really good perspectives from my new peers. I'm already finding it very helpful

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
I think it’s funny that you think your annoymous on the Internet.

It’s not that hard to find out who someone really is.

Then again I’d say there are some people who choose the persona because of all the hate they get because of their antics.

Ultimately it’s up to you what you choose just remember no matter what you decide if the content is good nobody cares.

Reactions: R-Rated

Loki

Wannabie Member
Oct 22, 2017
I ride a
GSXR BRO (lol)
I think it’s funny that you think your annoymous on the Internet.

It’s not that hard to find out who someone really is.

Then again I’d say there are some people who choose the persona because of all the hate they get because of their antics.

Ultimately it’s up to you what you choose just remember no matter what you decide if the content is good nobody cares.

For sure. I know the internets now really anonymous (it's not for privacy really, I mainly don't want my face to the character, more for it's integraty, I feel putting a face to him kind of kills my purpose for him).

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I took my Motovlog name only because it's more interesting, and just because it's in the spirit of riding and Motovlog. Given how much I've shown my home, my neighborhood, and even images of myself I'm sure people can figure out who I am. Many do through my posting links to my channel on FB, and other forums.

I think if there is a conscious separation between your channel character and yourself, I'd ask why? Is your character giving you permission to do things that you wouldn't do in front of friends and family? As strange as it sounds, it's a closeted life, one that may lead to a bad conclusion. If something happened to you while you were riding what are the consequences if those in your life find out?

If you can't be you, you'll never be comfortable in your own skin.

- Wuf

Reactions: NF Vulcan

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N

- Wuf

But isn't the whole of youtube now built on fake people?

This is starting to sound like yet another motovlog channel based on click bait with a fake personality to boot.

I hope I'm wrong.

Loki

Wannabie Member
Oct 22, 2017
I ride a
GSXR BRO (lol)
I took my Motovlog name only because it's more interesting, and just because it's in the spirit of riding and Motovlog. Given how much I've shown my home, my neighborhood, and even images of myself I'm sure people can figure out who I am. Many do through my posting links to my channel on FB, and other forums.

I think if there is a conscious separation between your channel character and yourself, I'd ask why? Is your character giving you permission to do things that you wouldn't do in front of friends and family? As strange as it sounds, it's a closeted life, one that may lead to a bad conclusion. If something happened to you while you were riding what are the consequences if those in your life find out?

- Wuf

That is a long story, I've had an interesting past with double life's (that was during a 15 year mess that I was heavily sedated), now without sedation it took a while for me to be able to handle my own brains processing power. I've severed parts of my personality through some really traumatic times as of late. And finding a new challenge in artistically using them. I'm an artist by nature (professional tattoo artist 15+ years shop exp.), I also oil paint, sculpt, and airbrush (though my buddy airbrushing the bike is better at realism in that seance), so this (combined with my love for motorcycles) will be my newest artistic vent. I have a particular vision I want to start, then let it take a life of it's own.

Loki

Wannabie Member
Oct 22, 2017
I ride a
GSXR BRO (lol)

This is starting to sound like yet another motovlog channel based on click bait with a fake personality to boot.

I hope I'm wrong.

I can see how that could appear that way, for me this is about a new artistic approach on motovlogging (i'm a huge hater of clickbate as well), I feel I have found a way to take an accurate (yet artistic) take on this. Honestly when sedated I wouldn't have a chance of the preparation I'm putting into this, the amount of intricate thought I'm putting into each aspect of my channel is mind boggling. In my real life I live in my own (sadly created by my own doing) personal hell. If my mind isn't constantly focused on something, my soul crushing pain comes flooding in. These are merely ways to keep my mind in high gear as constantly as possible. My therapist has similar concerns (on larger scales), but honestly, my mind has been in much worse paces (well over a decade of it).

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
Personally I use my name for my channel which I'm personally fine. But then again I don't show my collages or family. In fact I don't metion it to them. If I want to post a video on YT and send it to them I have a second channel. I don't think you can completley annoymous on the internet. You can delay the amount of time it takes for someone work out who you are.

Reactions: Loki

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X

I hope I'm wrong.

Somthing I didn't think about actually. There is a lot of fakes that are only on YT for the views. Whilst fakes are annoying is somthing that is going to be there. I respect people want their privacy.

Look at Royal Jordanian (RJ), doesn't show his face on camera and if you take a picture with him he pulls his visor down (was shown in a video if his) he'll wave and say it's him. He has got just as about annoymous as I think you can be on the internet.

Then theres chaps like Spicy110. He'll show his face on camera and be ptetty open about stuff but doesn't use his real name. Red Renna and Reno are similar too.

Then theres people like Phil480. They show there face on camera (not a lot mind) and use part of their real name. Again he is open about stuff.

The point I'm trying to make is that there are ways around it. I can respect you wanting privacy cause I'd be pretty surprised if nobody in the forum said that they didn't want to have some sort of privacy. As well as don't try and copy someone who is already out there.

If I was you I'd look up and watch some of the folks I've mentioned and see how they do it. See if you can spot what I'm saying.

Sorry its a bit long. But hope it helps.

Reactions: Loki

Loki

Wannabie Member
Oct 22, 2017
I ride a
GSXR BRO (lol)

I hope I'm wrong.

So, I wandered why you first comment on this thread is to act like you know what I think since you find it so funny I think I'm anonymous on the internet, how do you know that was what I was thinking. I don't want to not show my face for my privacy, it's an artistic take on my channel, but how could you know that? And then the above comment starting to judge my channel as click bait, and a fake personality. Must I remind you that you don't have a clue about my personality. And, my character will be closely based on me, but again how would you know? You don't.
Then I (out of curiosity) check out your channel, and find reviews on other channels. Now, it makes seance, you like to judge others. I personally see all this as signs of personal weakness, mainly with this thread since you have to attack someone you don't know on there intelligence, and idea you know nothing about. Trust me being an artist my whole life I know what it's like being misunderstood all the time. Further, being a professional tattoo artist (and covered head to tow), I see judgemental people such as you on the daily.
Though I did find a gem or two on your channel, I didn't see much anything original vids complaining about drivers, gear talk, is motovlogging dead, an I quit vid, Yammi Noob, more complaining about drivers, ext. Your channel review vids are the only thing I haven't seen on another channel, and when I get my content going I invite you to "review" my channel (though with you already trying to judge something you don't know, I don't expect an honest review).
Now, this may look like I'm upset, but I'm not. When you face judgement, and being misunderstood your whole life you learn just to not care, and I don't. But, I will respond to personal attacks. Especially from people that have no clue what my channel or I'm about. This is why I see you as weak.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
An opinion or thought is not a personal attack but I can see why you may have taken it as one. With no content to actually see what your "thing" is people can only hypothesise and with you being very cryptic people will only jump to conclusions, which you must admit is to be expected.

Please can we get this thread back on topic.

Undead MV

If there is light, there shall be dark
Oct 9, 2017
Mexico City
I ride a
Bajaj Avenger Street 220
I believe that remaining anonymous is completely valid, and keeps your channel with something mystical instead revealing everything about you since the first MV

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts