After filming color grading and camera settings.

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
rideontwo.net
I ride a
BMW F750GS
Was not sure if I should post this in camera setups or in here as it can apply to both and if you do not do both it is risky on auto or downright blah if you don't correct after. I will let the moderators decide if this should be in the other thread or at least a link there to get people here.

There has been a lot of talk recently in the various forums and FB places I follow about color correction. I research the crap out of things as I am always looking to get information from someone that is experienced and then start from there for my own testing purposes. I am not home so I can not look at my cameras but I wanted to get this thread started and Talk a bit about why the camera needs to be set up if you plan on using software to edit your color. I will add my camera setting later so others can try the same to see if it works for them.

Why take the camera out of auto?

If your camera is in auto mode for settings it will make adjustments during the video as it sees fit. This means if you go from bright sunlight to a dark road with overhanging trees it will make an adjustment at some point after you enter the trees. If you are going to use the camera on auto and not correct this is fine. If you are planning to color grade this can be a problem. If you correct the sunlight portion, the tree portion can turn out too dark or too saturated and look bad. The opposite can be true if you correct the tree footage. By putting your camera if possible into manual setting you are guaranteeing that no automatic adjustments will be made during the video. You want people to know that it got darker when you went under the trees, it will make them feel like they are there with you! If the camera changes white balance, color settings or shutter speeds it can make color correcting a nightmare without chopping the video up.

By putting White balance at a set value (dependent on the day), ISO, shutter speed, EV comp etc to set values and color to flat you are getting a constant video that can be corrected later with ease. Some testing may be required to get what you like out of it. I had tuned my camera in and then decided after more research I wanted to change the shutter speed, when I returned home I discovered that I had opened it too much and recorded my video in over exposed bright conditions. I was able to correct this and use the footage but barely.

I am going to talk about GoPro settings, this is the camera I use and most high end cameras should have some if not all of these settings. WILL ADD TO THIS POST LATER WITH CAMERA IN HAND

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
I currently keep most of the settings on my camera as they come, think the only thing I have changed on all my GoPros is the sharpness down to medium. I have tried doing some colour correction and like you say, the auto tune can mess with it and make some parts look too much.

Reactions: RideOnTwo

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
rideontwo.net
I ride a
BMW F750GS
I currently keep most of the settings on my camera as they come, think the only thing I have changed on all my GoPros is the sharpness down to medium. I have tried doing some colour correction and like you say, the auto tune can mess with it and make some parts look too much.
Yes but by putting all of the settings in manual it eliminates that problem

• Love
Reactions: HippoDrone

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
rideontwo.net
I ride a
BMW F750GS
Most of these settings are supposed to work better with ND filters.

If you are looking for the best cinematic footage you will want to set your shutter speed to double your frame rate. but this is better accomplished with ND filters, my footage has been very bright when setting shutter manually but I am still testing different settings and will update this thread as I learn more.

I am going to list the settings below considering you are going to leave the shutter in auto. These will give your camera the best information to record so you can color grade after!

Sunny or Bright out!
Protune - On
Shutter - Auto
EV comp -1.0
White Balance - 5500K
ISO limit - 1600
Sharpness - low
Color - Flat

This works on GoPro 4 and up to 7. My Hero 7 has a few more settings and I have been messing with them but have not settled on anything different from these original ones. During cloudy and overcast days changing the white balance is all that is needed, takes a whole 30 seconds. Only issue I have had is wifes camera was set in sunny mode when we left and it got overcast so the footage wasn't as good later on, because I forgot to change it. Any of my earlier video's with the GoPro 4 were all color graded with these settings. It takes a few minutes to grade the color for the whole upload.

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
rideontwo.net
I ride a
BMW F750GS
Auto is great for good footage. Every professional I have seen or read anything from says cameras make the wrong choices when left to decide. Learning how to set the camera will allow you to get great footage in all situations.

Reactions: HRMV

HRMV

Wannabie Member
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Auto is great for good footage. Every professional I have seen or read anything from says cameras make the wrong choices when left to decide. Learning how to set the camera will allow you to get great footage in all situations.
Aye that's definitely true. Maybe one day I will get to the stage of the having time to learn more and improve. Unfortunately too much other stuff on at the moment.

Top Posters Past 30 days

Winners Video

Latest posts