Advice needed: Best microphone to reduce wind noise?

SweetTripl

Sweet Triple
Mar 23, 2021
United Kingdom
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple R
Hi MotoVloggers,

Apologies if this has been covered before.

I've been editing some footage this week and upon viewing back, lots of my footage is unusable due to wind noise (crackling/clicking) in the audio. Currently I'm using a GoPro Hero8 Black with Media Mod and a cheap ebay lav mic with foam and dead cat inside my helmet underneath my cheek pad. I would assume that with all that padding and material surrounding my mic that it would be sufficient to stop the wind interference but unfortunately no joy. The audio at higher speed (60mph+) is awful.

I also have the Mic pointed slightly back towards my intercom speaker as it picks up my voice and my riding buddies really well, it's just the wind at higher speeds that's a big problem.

Do any of you guys or girls have any ideas as to a decent Mic or method for dampening the wind noise that is good for what we do? Is there an industry standard?

Sod's law that it's all the most spirted and exciting footage that is pretty much useless due to the horrible crackling noise!

Thanks for reading.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I don't wear a full-face helmet when I vlog, but I have seen and read that mic placement is key for preventing wind noise, so you may want to do some quick tests of angling it differently, even if that means not picking up your fellow riders' voices as well.

The other thing that helps is a chin curtain, to prevent wind from entering your helmet. Also, making sure your vents are closed.

Trust me, wind noise is a real bummer. I generally vlog at 45mph and below for this reason. Plus, the roads with lower speed limits are generally twistier, so the footage is better.

Beyond that, you can use some post-production noise reduction effects, to, um, great effect. :D

-John

Reactions: SweetTripl

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Yup, as above, placement is key. You may also be getting some pops from the Media Mod itself, as the mic jack is not the best fit I found, was fine at a standstill, but add movement and the jack can wiggle. Also in the wet, water hitting the front mic, or the mic jack ring will cause crackling too. I gave up on the Media Mod for on bike stuff and use the GoPro Microphone Adaptor instead with a Ulanzi battery door. I've then waterproofed the mic adaptor with amalgamating tape.
I have always found cheap mics to work the best, and I use this mic in all my helmets except for my trackday lid (that has a totally different setup)

SweetTripl

Sweet Triple
Mar 23, 2021
United Kingdom
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple R
Yup, as above, placement is key. You may also be getting some pops from the Media Mod itself, as the mic jack is not the best fit I found, was fine at a standstill, but add movement and the jack can wiggle. Also in the wet, water hitting the front mic, or the mic jack ring will cause crackling too. I gave up on the Media Mod for on bike stuff and use the GoPro Microphone Adaptor instead with a Ulanzi battery door. I've then waterproofed the mic adaptor with amalgamating tape.
I have always found cheap mics to work the best, and I use this mic in all my helmets except for my trackday lid (that has a totally different setup)

Thanks @HippoDrone I'm going to check out the Ulanzi Battery door and mic adaptor. I'm guessing you use a Hero 8 Black as well then if you have the media mod?

Reactions: HippoDrone

mymotorrad

Wannabie Member
Mar 26, 2021
Fountain Hills AZ
www.mymotorrad.com
I ride a
2009 R1200RT
Yeah, this is a problem. I don't use a go pro and the camera I use has only one mic available that can be used AFAIK. What I am going to experiment with is using an app on my iPhone and recording through my BT headset. I have a Cardo Freecom2+.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts