2017 My First Real Attempt At Creating Content

Brapbarian

Wannabie Member
Feb 9, 2017
Springfield, MO
I ride a
2017 Yamaha WR250R
I have had my youtube account for awhile but this is the year I start to really upload on a regular schedule. Looking at uploading at least 2 vids a week. My question for you that have been doing it awhile at what point does it stop being a hobby for you.

I think my biggest problem is thinking of what to talk about. So I figure I will upload one motovlog the other video will just be hightlight clips from riding throughout the week.

Do I need to worry about creating visually stunning videos right off the bat or work my way into doing other effects?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
It should always be a hobby, it is just a case of how much time you invest into it. If you were more meaning when could it become a career, that all depends on how much money you would need to earn from it to be able to afford to stop working. From what I gather you would probably need to be getting around 100,000+ views on each video and probably put out 2-3 a week with each getting that many views consistently. Some of the PC gaming Youtubers I've followed in the past reach the point of nervous breakdown trying to generate videos people will consistently find entertaining and that really sucks.

All I can say is keep it as a hobby, if you ever earn enough from it to replace a battery or camera then that is a win in my opinion! :)

TriumfAnt

It was good while it lasted
Jan 20, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800XC
I think the quickest way to stop it being a hobby is committing to too busy an upload schedule too early. Start out by planning on one video per week. You can increase or decrease that frequency later on. Most people are surprised by how much time they have to put into editing their videos.
Don't worry about visually stunning videos to begin with. Concentrate on your topic and how you deliver it. An uninteresting or poorly presented video will not be improved by fancy editing.
Remove errs, umms and long pauses. Take notes on your phone/diary whenever you come up with an idea for a vlog. Do some prep before you go out and record. Know what you're going to say. If you mess up a comment or just don't like how it came out, pause, then repeat it. You can edit out the bad one later.
Watch your video multiple times before uploading it. If you get bored or feel it's too long, so will your viewers. Edit it down. Don't let the excitement of uploading a video tempt you into releasing it too soon, before you're happy with the finished product. Most importantly, have fun :)

Brapbarian

Wannabie Member
Feb 9, 2017
Springfield, MO
I ride a
2017 Yamaha WR250R
I think the quickest way to stop it being a hobby is committing to too busy an upload schedule too early. Start out by planning on one video per week. You can increase or decrease that frequency later on. Most people are surprised by how much time they have to put into editing their videos.
Don't worry about visually stunning videos to begin with. Concentrate on your topic and how you deliver it. An uninteresting or poorly presented video will not be improved by fancy editing.
Remove errs, umms and long pauses. Take notes on your phone/diary whenever you come up with an idea for a vlog. Do some prep before you go out and record. Know what you're going to say. If you mess up a comment or just don't like how it came out, pause, then repeat it. You can edit out the bad one later.
Watch your video multiple times before uploading it. If you get bored or feel it's too long, so will your viewers. Edit it down. Don't let the excitement of uploading a video tempt you into releasing it too soon, before you're happy with the finished product. Most importantly, have fun :)

It should always be a hobby, it is just a case of how much time you invest into it. If you were more meaning when could it become a career, that all depends on how much money you would need to earn from it to be able to afford to stop working. From what I gather you would probably need to be getting around 100,000+ views on each video and probably put out 2-3 a week with each getting that many views consistently. Some of the PC gaming Youtubers I've followed in the past reach the point of nervous breakdown trying to generate videos people will consistently find entertaining and that really sucks.

All I can say is keep it as a hobby, if you ever earn enough from it to replace a battery or camera then that is a win in my opinion! :)

At no point do I think I will ever make this career or even think it will reach a potential to be considered supplemental income. I realized in a couple videos I do a lot of long pauses and use "Um" a lot more than I should.

The reason I asked about hobby vs work was because I struggle with thinking of something to talk about. I think all day at my job and usually I am pretty brain fried and just want to ride the work day away. So getting a topic and focusing on it is not high on my priority. I like the idea of writing down something I want to talk about and then staying on topic. I think right now most of my vids are around 8 minutes but I think that is to long for now.. I am new to this so I need it to be quick and to the point. Video highlights are easy with a dual sport, lots of wheelies, lots of curb hopping, field crossing, jumps etc etc..

Reactions: HippoDrone

Captain

Professional Amateur Vlogger
Aug 15, 2016
West Yorkshire. England
I ride a
2008 Yamaha R125
2001 Honda CBR929RR
If your planning to record most of your video's either going to your place of work, or when you finish work then try to vary your route so the scenery isn't the same even though the topic is different.

Brapbarian

Wannabie Member
Feb 9, 2017
Springfield, MO
I ride a
2017 Yamaha WR250R
If your planning to record most of your video's either going to your place of work, or when you finish work then try to vary your route so the scenery isn't the same even though the topic is different.

No my commute to and from work is very short. Most of my content will be done on weekends. Got plans to go out this Sunday and hit the backroads out to one of the nearby lakes. Should be a fun ride with some other riders in my area.

Been playing around in After Effects all week following a bunch of tutorials just getting used to the tools within the app. Now I just need to come up with what I want to do for my video intro

Reactions: HippoDrone

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts