Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
I think the time has come where we have outgrown the functionality of phpbb guys

I want to make this forum into a much larger community and quite simply, PHPbb is far too limiting to offer that to us. The downside to PHPbb is that you have to rely on third party plugins to be updated, they're often 'buggy'. Why would we want to spend hours coding and hacking stuff when xenforo can just do it out of the box :)

I have been looking at other forum software and come to the conclusion that xenforo is the better option for us. Some of you may know that I online marketing for a living (run my own company) and I'm part of of some forums (that run xenforo) and they have millions of hits a month - Barely any automated spam (you'll never 100% beat manual spam)

I'll try to keep the forum template the best I can but it is slightly outdated etc

What are you thoughts?

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
MrCodajastal said:
Do what you gotta do to be happy :D

Well it's more about keeping up with modern times :)

Pretty much everyone wants to be synced with every social network. Google wants good content and the spammers are agressive

PHPbb can't handle it :(

MrCods

Mentally Disturbed
Oct 19, 2013
Gold Coast
youtube.com
I ride a
V-Strom 650, GS500, GSX-R400, CT110
Well as far as I can tell, you are the boss, which means you can do whatever the hell you want :lol:
We all have to move with the times, lest we get left behind :cry:

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
MrCodajastal said:
Well as far as I can tell, you are the boss, which means you can do whatever the hell you want :lol:

That's the sprit ;)

However, I'm only the one who pays the bills. It's the members that make the community....

MrCods

Mentally Disturbed
Oct 19, 2013
Gold Coast
youtube.com
I ride a
V-Strom 650, GS500, GSX-R400, CT110
seomers said:
MrCodajastal said:

That's the sprit ;)

However, I'm only the one who pays the bills. It's the members that make the community....
Aw wow ain't that sweet :twisted:
I think we are all gonna get on just fine with you at the helm :mrgreen:

SwitchBiker

Wannabie Member
Jun 23, 2012
USA, California
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1215
2011 HD Dyna Fat Bob
It's your money!

However, I feel that it's really not necessarry unless you are also contemplating the possibility of selling ad-space for interested persons/companies. Everyone appreciates charity, but at some point, unless you are bringing in enough money to atleast break even you will eventually tire of paying the bills for the rest of us to have a community.

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
SwitchBiker said:
It's your money!

However, I feel that it's really not necessarry unless you are also contemplating the possibility of selling ad-space for interested persons/companies. Everyone appreciates charity, but at some point, unless you are bringing in enough money to atleast break even you will eventually tire of paying the bills for the rest of us to have a community.

My plan is to get the site ranking better in Google and then join up with companies etc - I've already spoken with a company about having a duel competition etc

Basically, this is a project for my online marketing business. I wanted something that I would enjoy (being a moto vlogger) and be able to help others (vloggers) get their foot in the door.

So advertising no, joining up with companies who will get members free stuff yes.

The only 'adverts' as such is the adsense banner. I won't be keeping that money (when approved_ that will be split between the moderators as a thanks for helping me out etc

So in a nutshell. I'll be using this a project for myself but also use it as a case study for my marketing business

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
ToastToGo said:
I've never heard of Xenforo...but I'm willing to see how the forum would be with it. :cool:

Only heard oh phbb and vbulletin.

Well Xenforo is a much lighter version of vbulletin and its design/made from two of the ex develpors of vulletin blah blah

XXX526

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Missouri
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
seomers said:
MrCodajastal said:

Pretty much everyone wants to be synced with every social network....

Is this the short way of saying you are "googlefying"? I sure hope not. Contrary to all the brainwashing, we can exist (just fine) without letting Google place their foot on our throats.

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
XXX526 said:
seomers said:
MrCodajastal said:

Pretty much everyone wants to be synced with every social network....

Is this the short way of saying you are "googlefying"? I sure hope not. Contrary to all the brainwashing, we can exist (just fine) without letting Google place their foot on our throats.

No. It means that the forum will have a better presence on the internet. Much better than letting it slowly die off

sPo0kEy

Wannabie Member
Oct 12, 2013
Las Vegas
retardsnations.cu.cc
I ride a
nothing for right now lol
i had them all Xenforo VB PHPBB3 it all come down to what you like phpbb is good if you how to code and easy VB is good as well but to much $$ Xenforo is good not to much support and a very small community ..But hey what ever you like .....

i have a demo if anyone what to see how it is.....

http://f78fdbf46bb5c170.demo-xenforo.com/122/index.php
name admin
password admin

SwitchBiker

Wannabie Member
Jun 23, 2012
USA, California
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1215
2011 HD Dyna Fat Bob
With the whole YouTube & G+ integration and the frustrations I'm having with that, I have to admit I'm not excited about MORE major updates to a site I am (was) familiar with. I understand the concept of moving forward, I'm sure you have the best intentions (I hope anyway), I just think it's too much all at once. Not to mention Windows 8! I'm about to take the sledgehammer to my computers and take up board games. Why does everyoine think they have to wipe the slate clean and start over completely? what ever happened to baby-steps of improvements with a single goal in mind? grrrr!! /endrant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts