Considering switch from Adobe Premiere Elements to DaVinci Resolve 18

sparkthego

Wannabie Member
Aug 26, 2022
Sydney, Australia
I ride a
Daytona 675R (2015) , ZX6R 636 (2006)
Has anyone had any experience with going from Premiere Elements (not Pro) to DaVinci Resolve. Is it worth the change? Are there features you like better in either? Is there anything that stands out that you like in DaVinci Resolve?

I bought Premiere Elements as well as Photoshop Elements as a package for $220 AUD. Though I never use Photoshop Elements as I've just got used to using GIMP over the years and prefer it.

Also which version of Davinci Resolve should I use? Is there a free version of Davinci Resolve and is it worth using?

Thanks,

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I'm still hoping to get Davinvci working again.
I prefer a lot above Magix, even if I only used it for half a year or so.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
There IS a free version of Resolve, and IMO, it is 100% worth checking out. I have the Studio [paid] version, and it's a bargain at $295. I've used it since I started my YouTube channel, so I can't comment on how it compares to other editors, but I absolutely love it, even if it crashes occasionally.

I probably use about 10% of what it can do, but I use it for easily 10 hours per week, editing my videos. I don't have one feature I like more than the others, but the learning curve can be steep. Plenty of tutorials on YT for how to do different things in/with it, including some on my channel - those are more geared towards motovloggers.

Good luck!

-John

Reactions: sparkthego

lonerockz

Wannabie Member
Mar 23, 2023
California
I ride a
BMW R1250 GSA, Triumph Tiger Explorer, Yamaha Nmax 125
I've used premiere over the years lightly but started to get serious more recently. I wanted to get more transitions and effects and got a subscription to MotionArray thinking it would be really helpful. What I didn't know is that MA doesn't have any way to give feedback on their content, and all the Adobe-compatible stuff is ancient and buggy as hell. Everything I downloaded only worked at certain resolutions and frame rates. It was a never-ending shitshow of garbage.
I watched a video on why people are switching and it made some good points so I tried out the free version of Davinci. As a basic Permiere user, it was pretty easy to get to the point I was already at with Premiere, and then I started downloading MA stuff... and magic! All the MA stuff actually worked! Sure some of the MA stuff is still hot garbage but at least it worked! I bought the Studio version of Davinci because I'm on PC and the free version doesn't use your video card for rendering on PC. I do recommend you watch videos on how to use "Cut" mode vs. "Edit" in Davinci. If you are new "Cut" mode is really fast for editing, I would totally us it, except I use a 360 camera, and cut mode doesn't work well with 360 workflows.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts